Umm.... I think that I am going to change my focus from media to art and film. I thought that I would be able to find more television shows/transcripts and journals as media, pero fue muy dificil tan tarde, aunque hablo espanol.
In other words, it was difficult so far, even though I could read/understand the Spanish. I don't think that an article in People en Espanol would be a credible source. I have found some interesting novels about Homosexuality/Homophobia (such as 41) that I could greatly use in my paper as well as presentation. Of course I was already going to use film, which I need to mention that I found more films focusing on my topic.
So I'm on the lookout for a lot of books, films, and possibly songs/poems to be used.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mark,
Always modify your focus to follow your best sources. Including television would probably have made the paper too long anyway.
Focusing on the more permanent forms of media, which art, novels, and film are, will give your work greater substance.
hey mark,
you mentioned that you didn't think an article in "People en Espanol" would count as a credible source. i'm having similar thoughts...particularly with respect to the hard sciences, a lot of the more interesting stuff i've come across is published in magazines (Popular Mechanics, NYTimes magazine, Popular Science, Utne, Omni, etc.). it's not that i can't find articles in scholarly physics journals about UFOs, but the kinds of "meta-analyses" i'm most interested in seem rarely to appear in the most scholarly of contexts.
i don't think this is a bad thing, though. if the research you're looking for hasn't been done in an explicitly scholarly context (or if there just isn't much of it), i think it makes sense to reference whatever's available. maybe harriette will have a different take on this, but to me it seems that you want your paper to be a credible source, and if you have to import the content of "popular" articles into your own work to do that, it just means that you're working on something that hasn't received enough scholarly attention for you to be able to base your research solely on sources with strictly academic credentials.
i guess this is a comment and a question at the same time. can an article from People en Espanol count as a credible source, if it pertains directly to your topic and includes relevant information that you can't find elsewhere?
Post a Comment