Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Progress as of 9/4/2007

I am pleased to say that I have found a lot of excellent resources not only at Belk Library, but at other libraries, including my hometown of Hickory. I have to give a LOT of credit to Glenn Ellen Stilling, for her wonderful work prior to my RAP session. I highly recommend her for those of you still in need of a RAP session. She is a brilliant librarian and a human search wizard!!

Glenn sat down with my on Friday and she showed me all of the different databases and catalogues that I could use for my research. We went down the list of what she had for me based upon her technique of putting my ideas in clusters. The idea of clustering ideas in and of itself is a wonderful idea, and I plan on doing that with other papers from now on. She found several items that I could use. I say items, because she said that since I was having media in my paper, I could include some form(s) of them media in my presentation. I plan on using video, and possibly a few songs.

I have to say that there were a few books that from the descriptions sounded great, but were not able to access them from interlibrary loan. This is a a shame, but I am glad about what we did discover together. I have even checked out three or four books and am getting into the process of reading them before having to turn them in on the 21st.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Well Mark, Im glad to hear that things are rolling along for you. It sounds like you have an interesting topic. There are a lot of aspects to talk about: church, machismo culture, history, contemporary issues, and many more avenues that Im not able to think of at the moment...cuz its 3 in the morning. I look forward to seeing how this progresses throughout the semester. Good luck. Sincerelly,
the other Mark

william.g said...

Mark,
Apologies for the delayed reply. About the book in Revolutions, given the fact that Stalin was an avowed Leninist, the book has been useful in seeing where Stalin branched away from Lenin's ideas and formed his owned.